Serwis Polskiego Towarzystwa Genealogicznego

flag-pol flag-eng home login logout Forum Fotoalbum Geneszukacz Parafie Geneteka Metryki Deklaracja Legiony Straty
czwartek, 18 kwietnia 2024

longpixel

Napisz nowy temat   Odpowiedz do tematu
Zobacz poprzedni temat Wersja gotowa do druku Zaloguj się, by sprawdzić wiadomości Zobacz następny temat
Autor Wiadomość
paulwiz52Offline
Temat postu: Szezutewa?  PostWysłany: 16-12-2019 - 06:58
Sympatyk

I just received a copy of the form my grandfather used to become an American citizen. On the form he lists his wife's hometown as Szezutewa, Poland. Of course the form was filled in by an American who likely knew nothing about Polish cities and just spelled the town the way it sounded to him. And I think my grandfather probably saw no point in trying to correct things. Any thoughts what the town might really have been (since I can find no town named Szezutewa)?

My guess is Częstochowa. But that then raises the question of which voivodeship is Częstochowa in so I can see if there is a record of my grandmother? According to what I read it is in Silesian now but only since 1999. Before then it was the capital of the Częstochowa voivodeship (at least according to Wikipedia). I'm thinking I need to look in Silesia, right?

Regards & pozdrawiam,
Paul

Zobacz profil autora Wyślij prywatną wiadomość Wyślij email  
Odpowiedz z cytatem Powrót do góry
lukas_07Offline
Temat postu: Szezutewa?  PostWysłany: 16-12-2019 - 18:57
Sympatyk

Hello Paul

If it is possible, try to share with us the copy of the document that you have mentioned in the above message.
I am sure that Szezutewa is definitely wrong name. It might have been Czestochowa or Szczutowo or Szczakowa or maybe another place.
It will be easier to help you when give us more details (grandfather’s names/ birthdate).

Regards
Łukasz

Zobacz profil autora Wyślij prywatną wiadomość  
paulwiz52Offline
Temat postu: Szezutewa?  PostWysłany: 17-12-2019 - 21:13
Sympatyk

Those are great suggestions Lukas! Thank you. Far better than mine and I didn't know those towns.
Unfortunately I fear my Grandmother is still a mystery. Bronisława Karbowska was born in Poland around 1887 to 1890. She married Grandfather, Stanisław Wiśniewski in America in 1915. Stanley's family is from around Śierpc and I am pretty confidant of that fact. On her marriage license she says her Father is Paweł and Mother is "Celestina Shemenkosky". It seems like her Mother's name is an approximation that has been Americanized. Father's name is also listed on her immigration record so that may be accurate. The immigration record also lists a hometown but I can't read it. It looks like Credrowa.
I've searched for "Bertha" in the indeks and focused on the towns you suggested but I was disappointed. If you want to look into it I would appreciate a second set of eyes, but don't make yourself crazy. It has already made me crazy and I think that is sufficient.
Thank you again for your great suggestions.
Pozdrawiam and dziękuję bardzo,

Paul

Krzysiek_Offline
Temat postu: Szezutewa?  PostWysłany: 17-12-2019 - 21:46
Zasłużony
Sympatyk

There's a marriage record of Paweł Karbowski and Scholastyka Szmiutkowska in parish in Sierpc.

paulwiz52Offline
Temat postu: Szezutewa?  PostWysłany: 17-12-2019 - 22:20
Sympatyk

Yes, I saw that. It looks very promising and may be the right family. And there is even a Bronisław (Bronisława?) Karbowska, parents not listed, born in Gasewo at approximately the right time (1887). But unfortunately it looks like a person with that same name was married there as well, about two years after my Grandmother was married in America. It is all close enough that I wish I could figure out how to make it work. Could there somehow be cousins with the same name?
Thanks for looking.
Paul

zeleznyOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 17-12-2019 - 22:55
Sympatyk

Dear Paul,

As Christmas is coming very soon so make dreams come true:

Bronisława Karbowska was born on 7-th of February 1887 at 5 am in the village of Kolonia Szczechowo in Gójsk parish
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szczechowo
https://www.google.com/maps/place/09-22 ... 19.6199789
Parents: Paweł Karbowski and Scholastyka Siemiątkowska
Godparents: Hipolit Romanowski and Marianna Mazurowska

Bronisława's father is Paweł Karbowski (born in the village of Mieszczk in Sierpc parish in 1854)
Bronisława's mother is Scholastyka Siemiątkowska (born in the village of Budy Miłobędzkie in Sierpc parish in 1854)
The wedding of Bronisława's parents took place in Sierpc parish in 1879

Bronisława's paternal grandparents are Józef Karbowski and Marianna Ulasińska (their wedding took place in Sierpc parish in 1853)
Bronisława's maternal grandparents are Jan Siemiątkowski and Antonina Maćkowska (their wedding took place in Sierpc parish in 1835)

Just take a look at the birth certificate of your Grandmother Bronisława née Karbowska No. 60/1887 in Gójsk parish
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/50/186/0/-/ ... mNp2qgDJRw
and take a look at the marriage certificate of Bronisława`s parents No. 28/1879 in Sierpc parish
https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/50/196/0/2/ ... nTLikZdkdg

Sometimes mysteries burst like soap bubbles

See you in Montana next year Smile

Best regards

Janek

Ps: Szczutowo is probably the correct name for the hometown (written on the form) of Bronisława - only a few km away from Szczechowo, Gójsk and Sierpc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szczutowo ... oivodeship
https://www.google.com/maps/place/09-22 ... 19.5740318

paulwiz52Offline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 18-12-2019 - 01:54
Sympatyk

Wow! There really is a Santa Claus! And his first name is Janek!

It will take a while to digest all this but all I can say is Thank You, Thank You.

I am going to take this information and "run with it". I still have questions but I will hold onto them until I understand more, especially if I might see you in Montana.

I think there is a way to contact me using email off of the forum. If you are coming to Montana, please write and let me know the specifics (when and where you will go) and I'll see what I can do to help you with your visit. If I am wrong and there is not an easy way to send me an off-line email, let me know here and I'll give you my address on the forum here.

Thank you again! And I hope you have a wonderful Christmas - as soon as you and the reindeer get back to the North Pole.

Paul

Krystyna.wawOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 19-12-2019 - 17:19
Zasłużony
Sympatyk

Jak ja lubię czytać takie historie! Smile

sbasiaczOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 19-12-2019 - 17:43
Zasłużony
Sympatyk

Ja też lubię je czytać, super historia !!!
Janek jest "prawdziwym" św.Mikołajem!!!
Niech się spotkają w tej Montanie, będzie materiał na książkę lub film Smile
pozdrawiam
BasiaS

paulwiz52Offline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 19-12-2019 - 20:48
Sympatyk

Yes, it is all very gratifying. A very nice Christmas gift.
Further, Grandfather's citizenship papers show that he came to America in early 1913 and Grandmother came in late 1913. They were married in 1915. That is pretty fast. The fact that they were both from the same part of Poland tells me they were probably sweethearts in Poland - something I did not know.

Thanks again to all. Have a Merry Christmas.

Pozdrawiam
Paul

Skocz do:  
Wszystkie czasy w strefie GMT - 12 Godzin
Napisz nowy temat   Odpowiedz do tematu
Zobacz poprzedni temat Wersja gotowa do druku Zaloguj się, by sprawdzić wiadomości Zobacz następny temat