Serwis Polskiego Towarzystwa Genealogicznego

flag-pol flag-eng home login logout Forum Fotoalbum Geneszukacz Parafie Geneteka Metryki Deklaracja Legiony Straty
piątek, 29 marca 2024

longpixel

Napisz nowy temat   Odpowiedz do tematu
Zobacz poprzedni temat Wersja gotowa do druku Zaloguj się, by sprawdzić wiadomości Zobacz następny temat
Autor Wiadomość
paulwiz52Offline
Temat postu: Diminutive names  PostWysłany: 21-10-2019 - 16:18
Sympatyk

I have several questions on this topic but I will ask them consecutively so I don't confuse things.
In America we sometimes give a person a new name that we call a nickname. It is usually shorter than their real name and is used casually by friends. A person named Charles might be called Charlie, or Kathleen might be called Kathy. Poles living in America are sometimes called Ski. My friends call me (Wisniewski) Wiz.
I know Polish people do the same thing, probably more than we do from what I have seen. My Polish lessons call these diminutive names. You probably have a different term for them. What do you call them?

Zobacz profil autora Wyślij prywatną wiadomość Wyślij email  
Odpowiedz z cytatem Powrót do góry
mlszwOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 21-10-2019 - 17:13
Sympatyk

Hi Paul.

Diminutives of given names are common and widespread. We call this “zdrobnienie”, which basically carries the same meaning as the English word.

Instead, twisting, abbreviating or any form of changing one’s surname is rather frowned upon. We call this “przezwisko”. Unless the user is very close to the addressee, they may expect energetic reaction. Replacing “Wisniewski” with “Wiz” would rather be unwelcomed here.

Marek

PS: W wiadomościach poprzez PW proszę zaznaczać opcję "Powiadom e-mailem".

Zobacz profil autora Wyślij prywatną wiadomość  
Sroczyński_WłodzimierzOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 21-10-2019 - 21:10
Członek PTG

"aka" in Polish

ksywa
ksywka
pseudo
przezwisko

paulwiz52Offline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 22-10-2019 - 04:13
Sympatyk

Thank you both! These are the sorts of things I wouldn't learn in Polish language lessons for a very long time.
So it is rude to call someone by a diminutive form of their surname. Are there any times when I might want to call myself by a diminutive form of my own surname? In the book Poland by James Michener, the two main families are Buk and Bukowsky. Toward the end of the book they find they are related. So one of the families changed the surname. The reason I ask is that I have a reference for a name that looks like a diminutive form of someone's surname. I originally thought the name might have been Polish, but I am starting to think it may be Slovak instead. But I am thinking the attitude towards a person's names would be similar to the approach in Poland.
Thank you both again.
Pozdrawiam.
Paul
(Would it be Pawełko or something like that?)

mlszwOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 22-10-2019 - 06:31
Sympatyk

Calling it „rude” would be too much. It will always depend on the intention of the user. Anyway, it is not received here.

Now that you have explained the source of your question – surnames stabilized at the turn of the 18th to 19th century. Before that changes from one form to another were common. So, in your example, the Buks might have easily become the Bukowskis at that time. And that has nothing to do with using the diminutive form.

The diminutive of your name is Pawełek.

Marek

paulwiz52Offline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 22-10-2019 - 15:42
Sympatyk

The name I am researching is Welchko. That is almost for sure not what the name was in the home country. It is pronounced with an English "ch" sound, which is way different than the Polish "ch" sound. In short, Mr. Welchko Americanized his name after arriving here. As I looked at it, Welchko looked like a Polishzdrobnienie form, so I tried to figure what it might have been before. But I see now that is unlikely. I will go look for other solutions, maybe even other nationalities.
Thank you for your patience.
Pazdrowiam.
Paul

mlszwOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 22-10-2019 - 16:33
Sympatyk

Paul, the surname you are researching is of Eastern Slavonic sounding and, probably, origin, meaning Belarus, Ukraine and Russia. There are people of that surname in Russia. Just paste Вельчко (Cyrillic transcription) in Google.

The closest Polish equivalent that comes to my mind would Wieliczko, a common surname here.

Marek

Skocz do:  
Wszystkie czasy w strefie GMT - 12 Godzin
Napisz nowy temat   Odpowiedz do tematu
Zobacz poprzedni temat Wersja gotowa do druku Zaloguj się, by sprawdzić wiadomości Zobacz następny temat