Serwis Polskiego Towarzystwa Genealogicznego

flag-pol flag-eng home login logout Forum Fotoalbum Geneszukacz Parafie Geneteka Metryki Deklaracja Legiony Straty
czwartek, 28 marca 2024

longpixel

Napisz nowy temat   Odpowiedz do tematu
Zobacz poprzedni temat Wersja gotowa do druku Zaloguj się, by sprawdzić wiadomości Zobacz następny temat
Autor Wiadomość
Wojciechowicz_KrzysztofOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 29-08-2015 - 12:44
Sympatyk

Hi Hugh,

I just happened to find the name Dowd in old Lithuanian archives (XVII-XVIII centuries):

Nowiakiemie 5 November Con. M. Michael Dowda Cum Anna Markunowna Testes Joannes Antononis Petrus Nowikunas et Casimirus Markubas omn. de Nowi. 130
BruŹkiŒzki 23 October Con. M. Casimirus Witus de ŻydiŒzki Cu ̃ Lucia Dowdowna de Woytkuny T. Michael Mikus et Lucas Alexsunas omn. de BrukiŒzki

Quite a some time ago some merciful angel- member of this forum helped me to find my bearings in the navigation of the Lithuanian archival Web site. I managed to download a long list of names, but I am afraid - only from one or two northern parishes. Szymkiewicz name was also there:

923 12. Casimirus Ioannis Giegiecki et Catharinć Bartholomeus Szymkiewicz Ioannes Sukien cum Anna Duczmanowna omnes de Tołoczkany

1045 21. Rćgina Andrć Micewicz de Woynikany Annć Casimirus Purecki Bartholomeus Szymkiewicz de Woynikany Helena Pietkiewiczowa de Poswol Constantia Pietkiewiczowna de Woynikany 53

1103 12. Hieronimus Stephani Jasczołt Catharinć de Vonakis Barholomeus Szymkiewicz de Wonokany cum Helena Stayguiłowa cum Generosa Dna Eguigis Galofowna de Witortis

15. Anna Martini Warnonis et Zophić Urzlicza de Dowszakany Joannes Szymkiewicz pro tunc Pater familias Aulć Dowszkany cum Sophia Powiłoniowa de Golminiany

15. Anna Martini Warnonis et Zophić Urzlicza de Dowszakany Joannes Szymkiewicz pro tunc Pater familias Aulć Dowszkany cum Sophia Powiłoniowa de Golminiany

Records in other parishes may reveal many more names of our ancestors. However, I don't even remember how to get to that Web site.
Let’s hope you may find a similar angel. If you want to try it yourself, you better get down to work on deciphering Voynich manuscript. The great and proud Lithuanian nation acquired their written language about 150 years ago and now they are trying to make up for lost centuries in promoting it worldwide. About 90 percent of Lithuanian archives are either in Polish, Ruthenian, or Russian – of interest to tens of millions of people speaking these languages. However, to get to them, you have to find among 3 millions Lithuanian a person trained in any commonly understandable language to help you in navigating their Web site.

Krzysztof

Zobacz profil autora Wyślij prywatną wiadomość  
Odpowiedz z cytatem Powrót do góry
os2hughOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 29-08-2015 - 18:00
Sympatyk

Krzysztof,

What I have been is taking a section of years 1858-1863 and having the archives check local Catholic Parish churches in the area of the Archdiocese of Wilno circa those years ie about the time he was born. So far they have eliminated quite a few local parishes, that are near where he was married in 1884 and where his children were born also. Using the list of the Catholic parishes and moving progressively outward (costs money but relatively inexpensive) while at the same time looking on forums like this in the hopes that somebody recognizes the Szymkiewicz surname and is either related to them or has run across them in their research.

I am just hoping given his realtively young age (23 in 1884) that he was most likely born in the area around Kozakiszki Parish where he was married. My freind Ola, who is one of the best translators I know, says that the marriage record lists Adolf Szymkiewicz as being a from the Cukry or Cukier (she couldn't really make out the text that well) settlement and his wife Jozefa as being from the Minogora (she was also unsure about the exact name do to writing) settlement.

With my limited resources I have checked all the Polish maps for the area around Kozakiszki and have not seen either settlement or anything close to it. If I could just find out where this Cukier/Cukry place is maybe I can find his parish of his birth record?

Hugh

RoRo500Offline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 31-08-2015 - 05:35
Zasłużony
Członek PTG

Hugh,
You can find Minagora on this map: http://igrek.amzp.pl/result.php?cmd=id& ... cat=KWR100
It is at the right edge, slightly above the lake Zelwa. It is close to Kozakiszki (but they are located on the adjacent map).
The tiny river starting above Minagora was called Sukra. On the modern google maps there is very little place called Sukra: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sukra ... 5e96?hl=en
Perhaps this is the place called Cukry in your record.
As an aside - if you would like others to look at the records you are sending, do not send them as AOL attachment. They can not be seen.

Roman

os2hughOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 01-09-2015 - 05:19
Sympatyk

Thanks Roman I have looked at the WIG maps countless times but always missed Minagora, interesting to not just north of Minagora is Moskalizki which is the birth village of my great grandmother Weronika Szymkiewicz (born March 1885, and baptized in Kozakiszki) The frustrating thing is finding Adolf ( her fathers birthplace) I know her mother Jozefa was born in Landwarow (just west of Wilno) but I have to keep looking for him in surrounding parishes. Is it possible he was a Greek rite Catholic? In 1884 was it likely that type of marriage would occur? I think for now I will keep plofdding along until hopefully I find his village of birth. My next place to look will be Mejszagola.

Hugh

os2hughOffline
Temat postu:   PostWysłany: 10-09-2015 - 06:26
Sympatyk

A quick question on villages of old Poland.

1. What is a Folwark?

2.These noble villages (like Komaryszki) did they have to be nobles, or of noble descent to live there?

Hugh

Skocz do:  
Wszystkie czasy w strefie GMT - 12 Godzin
Napisz nowy temat   Odpowiedz do tematu
Zobacz poprzedni temat Wersja gotowa do druku Zaloguj się, by sprawdzić wiadomości Zobacz następny temat